Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Road Trip Part 7-The Carolina's

May 26th, I headed back to Virginia. I was heading back to Roanoke to pick up Daniel and we would ride back to Boston together. I drove from Georgia through South Caroline and North Carolina and up to Virginia. 
In North Carolina I stopped at Latta Plantation it was a cotton plantation with 742 acres in the 1800's. 
The man weaving scarfs and blankets was the most fascinating part of the plantation. He said he found it very interesting and he wanted to learn. So he was going to by a loom and realized they cost $5000. He decided he would just build one. So he found a book and built the one you see. He said it would take him nearly 15 days to thread it so he could start weaving. Then he generally will find mistakes in which threads are strung where and will have to fix them. So it really takes almost 21 days before you can really get into the motion of weaving. 
These are some scarfs he did. He had a small one that I was able to try my hand at. It was really interesting.
The Latta Home. 




Trapper






This was about half way from Athens to Roanoke so it was a nice break before I hit the road again. 
These are bridges in Virginia. Yes Daniel is driving here I was being safe. :) 
On our way back through Maryland I convinced Daniel to let us stop in at a pizza place in Richmond Virginia. It was about 30 minutes out of the way but totally worth it. It is called Bottoms Up Pizza and it is the best pizza ever. 
It was really great to get to see places I had never been before. I had wanted to take this type of a trip for some time now and I am glad I finally had the opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment