Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Road Trip Part 1-Washington D.C.

In May I quite my job with Ipswitch and before I started my new job with Vecna I took a two week break between jobs. I wanted to go on a road trip and go places I have wanted to but just haven't had time to do so. I talked my friend Daniel to start out the trip with me and we left May 18th, Friday night after he got off work and drove to D.C. We arrived at our friend Jodi's house in the wee hours in the morning. We then talked and talked with each other until even later into the morning. Daniel and I are both early risers and I think we both got about 3 hours of sleep before we were wide awake and couldn't sleep anymore. We got up and got ready for the day and waited for Jodi to stir. We went into D.C. for breakfast and then Jodi dropped us off at the monuments and Daniel and I spent the rest of our day walking around while Jodi took care of other responsibilities she had for the day. 
We started off at the Martin Luther King Monument. This is a new one since the last time I was in D.C.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
This was one of many water exhibits at the Franklin D Roosevelt Memorial


I really liked this one how you can see all the flags around the Washington Monument and also the Capital building in the background.
I really liked the way they have done the trees here. This is also a new Memorial since I was last here or I missed it, this was the Korean War Memorial.
This wall was so incredible. It had the faces of many soldiers, nurses and other service individuals etched into the granite stone. 
I finally made it to the Lincoln memorial. The other two times I came this was the one I really wanted to see and never got a chance either time. 

Washington Monument
The Capitol
I think someone dipped this squirrel in some bleach. 
A building we passed that I thought was really cool. If I remember right I think this was the old post office. 
The White House
Me with the White House in the distance.
Another cool building. It almost looks hauntly with the lights. 
Sunday after church Daniel and I went to the Arlington National Cemetery. This place was incredible. This was my first time here. Very moving, the spirit was incredibly strong here the day we went. Such a sacred place. 


This is part of the changing of the guards. 
Where the soldiers lay who we don't know who they are. 
What an honor to be one of the guards at this location. 


A view of the Pentagon from the Cemetery. 
The Arlington House
President Kennedy and his wife. 
You can't see it very well but in the back there is a fire pit and there is always a flame going here. 
The Women's memorial. 
This was a moving experience for me. This would be a place I would want to come again. We didn't have time to make it over to the 9/11 site and I would like to visit that the next time I return. 
We meet back up with Jodi and went to the Ford Theater museum.
This is the gun that Abraham Lincoln was killed with.  
Here is the theater. That box is the box where the President and Mrs. Lincoln would have been. 
This is a tower of books all on Abraham Lincoln. 
Outside of Ford Theater
Across the street is the house he was taken to after he was shot. It is where he died. In the museum they have the pillow that soaked up his blood still on display. 
Jodi, Me, and Daniel up in the balcony of the theater. 
Ab Lincoln he was looking a little green today. 

1 comment:

Eugene said...

What a fun place to visit.

Post a Comment