Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sarah's Trip to Boston

On our drive to church we parked along the Charles River and they were having the rowing events. It was great that Sarah was able to see that as well. 
This is one of my favorite things about New England is the fall. 
Sarah getting captured in the fall colors. 
After church we headed over to the Mt. Auburn cemetery to see more of the fall colors.  
Sarah playing in the leaves. 
Monday Sarah went and explored Boston on her own while I worked. 
One Tuesday I took Sarah up to a park so she could see the city from up on a hill. 
She got a birds eye view of the city. 


Then we stopped off at the Boston Temple. She did some work at the Temple while I went and worked at the Boys and Girls Club. 

After the Temple and the Boys and Girls Club we went to Finale Desserterie for dinner. 
I had heard a lot about this place. I got a Groupon for a dessert dinner for two. 
First Course: Chocolate Covered Strawberries. 
We each got to choose individual portions for the next course.
Second Course:  Chocolate Paradise
This was Sarah's selection but we shared everything we got.
Second Course: Boston Cream
This was my selection.
Third Course: Sorbet in an edible sugar bowl
Fourth Course: Peanut Butter Pie
Fourth Course: Seasonal Cornucopia
My over rating for Finale's is about a 2 our of a 10. I wasn't impressed. Apparently I don't have the taste buds for rich and fancy deserts. Neither Sarah or I really enjoyed much. We were glad that we only had to pay half price. I love Peanut Butter things but their PB Pie was not good at all. So many things were all Chocolate which I am not a huge fan of. I don't think it is a place worth going and paying lots of money for fancy plated desserts that don't meet up to the desserts I grew up with. Out of all of them the Seasonal Cornucopia and the Boston Cream were the best. The Sorbet was good too but how can you go wrong with Sorbet. 
On our walk back to the car we passed the Curios George store so Sarah stopped to say hi to the door man! 
Wednesday afternoon as soon as I was done with work we spent the rest of the day 
doing some touristy things in Boston. 
First on the list was Bunker Hill. 
Sarah on step 10.
We decided this must be for the people who get part way up and can't go any further up or down and they have to call for help. After you are working your way up all those stairs I could see why you would want to call for help. 
Lots and lots of stairs. 
We made it to the top 294 steps up and 294 steps back down. 
View from the top of Bunker Hill. 
Sarah in front of Bunker Hill and to think we climbed all the way to the top. In order to get this pose I had to crouch way down and my legs were like jello. I did all I could to get the picture before my legs gave out and then I was dead. 
By the time we left the car and returned to the car we did over 700 stairs. To climb the 294 steps we did it in 6 minutes and 27 seconds. Now you can see why our legs were ready to give out. 
We went to downtown Boston and headed over to the Boston Public Library and we passed this old church. 
I had no idea there was a garden area inside of the library. It is a really fascinating building. 
Images in one of the rooms. 
I thought the spiral stairs up to the next book level was cool. 
Another really need wall and ceiling painting. 
There was a little room that was dedicated to marionette dolls and a stage. It was pretty neat. 

The stage

Boston Public Garden. 


Then we went over and took a tour of the Boston State House.

This was the hall of flags and if you look close you can see a 
big clock hanging in the middle of the room. 
The Senate Room. 
The State House. As soon as we were done here we hit the road and headed to New York for the rest of the weekend. It made it a long day because we didn't leave Boston till 4 or 5pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment