Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sacred Grove

In order for us to enter the Sacred Grove we had to cross a little brook and there were some cattails.
The Sacred Grove was one of my favorite places. The thing I loved about it the most is the spirit of reverence that was there. There was a ton of people wandering throughout the Grove and everyone I passed was either whispering or speaking in a quiet voice. No one was talking in their normal voice. We were never told to speak in soft voices but the Spirit was so strong that people just felt inclined to do so. There was a great feeling of reverence here.
To think back in 1820, 190 years ago God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ appeared in this very Grove to the young boy Joseph Smith, when he had inquired from the Lord what church he should join.
In Joseph's own words he shares "I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the sun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me. Then the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!" 
My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, then I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join.

  I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

At a young age I too wanted to know what was true. I wanted to know if Joseph Smith really had seen God the Father and his Son Jesus Christ. I did the same thing as Joseph and I asked God knowing he would be the only one to be able to truly answer my question. I also received an answer. I did not receive a visitation but I received a confirmation in my heart from the Holy Ghost testifying to me that it is true. Joseph Smith saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and he was called to be the Prophet and restore the true Church of Christ back to the earth. As I was here in the Grove the Spirit re-testified to me again with a feeling of assurity that it was true in the very Grove where Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ had been 190 years earlier.




The Sacred Grove was such a beautiful and lovely place to sit and ponder. The Spirit was present and so peaceful. I took the opportunity to sit and ponder while I was here and really enjoy the moment of peace alone in the Grove. Continue my thoughts from my last post on how fortunate I feel we are to be in this day and age. Not only am I fortunate in the comforts of life but I am fortunate to have the Freedom of religion and to have been blessed to be born into a family who are members of the one and only true Church of God; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My life has been so blessed in having this knowledge and knowing that Heavenly Father is so aware of me in my life and knowing he has a plan for me and that I can talk to him and he answers me and helps me to know where it is he wants me to be and what he wants me to be doing. I am grateful that he restored his priesthood power back to earth again through calling a Prophet and 12 Apostles and that through his priesthood power we have the ability to be sealed and bound to our families and those we love for all eternity. Death is not the end it is just one more step that we all must take. To know that death is not the end and that my family members who have died are not gone forever and that I may see and be with them again. There is so much more Heavenly Father has planned for us. This life on earth is such a short moment of time. This knowledge is available to us now through the simple question of a young boy who had tremendous faith in wanting to know what church he should join, what church was right.  
"Ask and ye shall receive."

No comments:

Post a Comment