Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July Pre-Activities


On July 3rd, my friend Denise and I decided to head into Boston for the day. We went to lunch at the Ouster House in the city then we walked around Haymarket which is where they have all the fresh produce. We wished we were heading back home so we could have bought all kinds of fruit and vegtables for really cheap. But we were spending the day in the city and wouldn't be home till around midnight and it was such a hot day the food would not last in my backpack and I didn't want to carry it around all day and all night.
As we were walking around Quincy Market we saw this cute old man talking with these girls. I tried to take his picture and he kept putting the umbrella in front of him so I couldn't get the picture. But I am the one who won that battle.
At the strip in Quincy Market or Fenual Hall there are street performers of all sorts. These ones dress us like statues and they stand still till you pay them then they will move the more money you give them. I thought this girl did a good job. She really looked like a statute. Not till she moved did I realize she was real.
I don't like the white one as well. I didn't think she looked at good her makup wasn't done as well as the Gold or Bronze girls.
This lady did a great job with our outfit as well.
This guy was cool to watch he had this long stick of glass or plastic not sure which and he heated it up which melted it and he was turning it and making designes on the piece he is holding in the bottom hand. Which then it looked like a crystal of some sort.
Here is a knife juggler he was from Australia. He was fun to watch and his finaly was pretty amazing. being able to juggle a little myself I was very impressed at how he is able to control them as good as he does especially so they are not hitting the spinning blades above his head.
After we watched the street performers we decided to go to Modern Pastries and Mike's Pastries and get some Canoli's. I have heard Modern's are best from some people and from others that Mike's is the best. Se we decided to get one from each place and test it out ourselves. As we were standing in line at Modern Pastries we saw all kinds of amazing pastries. I saw these ones and I turned to Denise and said oh these are cute they look like little bugs. She said oh yeah they do they have Antlers. I started laughing and I said antlers huh? You mean Antennas? She started laughing too and then I told her I have to take a picture so I can blog about this and then the people behind us were laughing at me for taking a picture thinking that I thought no one would believe the amazing pastries we saw here. So I proceeded to tell them the story and they got a good laugh out of it as well.
Here is another one of their Yummy looking pastries.
So the conclusion we came to is that we liked Modern Pastries Canolis the best. But Mike's Pastries has Lobster Tails and that was divine. So Modern for Canolis and Mike's for Lobster Tails.

This was just a cool old looking building in Boston. We past this as we were walking to the Hatch Shell to wait for the rehearsal of the Boston Pops Concert.
This is the head of Arthur Fiedler. This sculpture is put together with thin slabs of rock sheet by sheet to make this shape. It reminds me of the new puzzles they have the 3-D ones. Below you will see his picture so you can compare then and see how good the artist is.
He was the long-time conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra, a symphony orchestra that specializes in popular and light classical music. With a combination of musicianship and showmanship, he made the Pops one of the best-known orchestras in the country. Some criticized him for watering down music, particularly when adapting popular songs or edited portions of the classical repertoire, but Fiedler deliberately kept performances informal, light, and often self-mocking to attract more listeners.
Denise and I arrive around 3 and waited for everyone to arrive and then we got a spot in the Hatch Shell and laid out the blankets to await the concert at 8:00pm. It was so hot that Denise and I decided to escape to some shade over by the river. This is the view we had of the city as we were cooling off in the shade.
Me resting in the shade.

About 30 minutes before the concert started they had some drummers and such come out and entertain us a bit.
As we waited for the concert we played a few games such as Uno and Catch Phrase. I asked Jason to take a picture and so he said sure and took my camera and took his picture. (By the way his name is Jason Bond he is a mix of Jason Bourne and James Bond) HA HA

I laughed at Jason and said not of you but of Denise and I so he so kindly to a second picture for me.
This is a bit of one of the songs from the Boston Pops
A choir joined the Orchestra
The Boston Pops Orchestra
My Friend Rob and I
I loved how the stage lights changed colors.
Denise and I
Toby Keith singing his American Soldier song.
Toby Keith

Summer and I decided to head to the front of the crowd and get closer so we could get better pictures. We got there about the time he was done singing and walking off stage.
We were pretty close just not as close as we would have liked to have gotten.
At the end they celebrated a little even though it wasn't really the 4th they had to make sure it would work.
We had a great time and it was a fun concert. You can't see the fireworks from the Shell and they don't do any on Saturday night. We decided to attend the concert Saturday and watch fireworks on Sunday which gave us the best of both worlds. We had fun waiting around with everyone and making new friends and playing games. It was an eventful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment