Sunday, February 10, 2013

New England Snow Storm Feb 8-9

 We had a nasty snow storm on Friday night through Saturday afternoon. It was so bad that there was a driving ban on the roads. Public transportation was shut down at 3:30 Friday afternoon and all cars and drivers were to be off the roads by 4pm. If you were caught on the road you would be fined for being out. 
The wind was high and intense. I never lost power which was great because I got a lot of stuff done that I needed power for. 
This was about 10pm on Friday night. With all of the wind there was a lot of drift snow. 
Saturday morning we still had about 4 hours of more snow before it was going to stop and this was how much was at my door step that made it under the porch. 
Nice and even till you get to the road. The snow was up to my hip all the way from my bottom step out to the street. I was glad I had a shovel in the basement so I didn't have to trek out to the garage and try and get it from there. 
The fence on the other side of our driveway. 
As you can see it would have been a little difficult to get to the garage. My landlord came over to clear the snow with the snowblower. It took him 2 hours. Can you imagine how long it would have taken if I had to do it by hand. Yup I would say pretty much all day. It took me 30 minutes just to get the snow cleared from my door to the edge of the house.  
Sunday morning snow pile up. 
Here is the pile between my sidewalk and the street. 
Here is our pile after the snow was cleared. A lot of it made it over the fence if it hadn't of I think the snow would have been to the roof of the garage. 

If I need to get into Broadway Dollar, I might just miss the store, or if I find it I might have a hard time figuring out a way to get on the other side of the snow hill. 
If you park on the street during a snow storm you may want to draw a map of exactly where you parked so when you go to dig out your car you dig out the right one. Otherwise you will have a very happy neighbor. 
Pile of snow to the side of the street. Makes it hard to see if cars are coming around the corner or not. 

Yup you are seeing what you think you are seeing. Those are windshield wipers sticking up out of the snow. People do that a lot out here so they don't have to scrap free the wiper blades. 
In some places to allow traffic on streets they are moving it away. I would like to know where they take all of these truck loads of snow. 
This is in front of my house. They are taking away some of the piles of snow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment