Friday, November 25, 2011

Graditude

I woke up way to early this morning. As I am laying in bed praying to fall back asleep my mind begins to think of all the people and things I am grateful for in my life. Many things start flashing through my mind so I decided to get up and write it down because my mind was swirling so much sleep had evaded me.
I am grateful for my family. My parents taught me strong values and helped to shape and mold me into the person I am today. I am grateful for the values my parents taught me. I am grateful for the examples my parents are to me. For always being willing to let me call no matter what time of day or night. If I need to talk; the phone line is open and they will always answer. 
I am grateful that my dad who has shown me how to selflessly give to those around me. I need to improve greatly in this area. But he is one of the best examples I have ever seen of someone who constantly gives to others. He is constantly serving those in his life. He looks for opportunities where he can help and offer the help before he is asked. And when he is asked he graciously gives of his time and energies to provide the service at hand. He is a true example of Christlike service and I am grateful for this example so I can learn to implement this trait into my life. 
 I am grateful for my mother and her ability to put the needs of others before herself. As a child I didn't realize the sacrifice she constantly made to ensure the needs of her family were meet before her own. The many things we all got to have and she went without. She didn't complain but gave with love. The time she sacrificed to take care of our every need. To watch her as she served her family members to see their needs were meet as well. To help them in ways they couldn't help themselves. 
I am grateful for a grandmother (Ruth Olsen) who swallowed her pride to allow us to server her. Due to her extreme arthritis she couldn't help herself and therefore relied on others to take care of the daily things that we all take for granted. I didn't always help with a good attitude but as time went on I saw the great lessons she was able to teach us. To show us how to accept service of others. She provided many opportunities for us to learn to serve and to learn to do it with a happy heart. 
I am grateful for a grandfather (Wilber Olsen) that down to his last breath I do not recall him complaining about the lot in life he was handed. No matter how hard, difficult or extreme pain he experienced he did so without  complaint. Watching him go through the things he did and being so young this is the greatest lesson I learned from him. We are handed difficult things in life. The true test is to see how well we endure it to the end and learn the lessons we can from it. For we will not be given something greater than we can handle if we will but turn to our Savior who will give us the added strength and power to succeed and make it to the end. At which point I want to know he will tell me you have endured well and been faithful. 
I am grateful for Grandparents (Ellie and Mary Holloway) that made sure we knew they loved us no matter how far away they lived. Even though we didn't get to see them but once every few years, they made sure we knew and still know without a doubt they love us very much. My grandmother has also taught me the power of acceptance. No matter who we are or what we have done God loves us and I need to love and accept his children the same as he does. She reminds me of this lesson frequently. She also has taught me the importance and power of forgiveness. If we do not forgive it only causes long term damage to us. This is baggage and damage that is not worth keeping in the closet. It takes up unwanted space that can be used by something of much greater worth. 
I am grateful for my many other relatives that have given great support and love to me over the years. For sisters who have been there for me. Letting me tag along with them and their friends. Putting up with their little sister being an appendage to them to help me feel included. For helping me with my homework so I could pass my classes. Giving me a place to live and a home to be a part of. For caring and wanting to be a part of my life and being concerned for me. 
For helping me with things I ask for. 
I am grateful for the many people who have taken me in and treated me as their own family over the years in the many different places I have lived. I have so many adopted parents one can't help but feel loved. So many prayers, thoughts, and concerned people who love me and want the best for me. As I have traveled through my life you have given me support and encouragement to keep moving forward with strength. You have provided me the comfort I have needed many times when my parents couldn't be there for me. I have appreciated the many blessings I have been able to receive from you since my father doesn't live near me. To be able to still take advantage of such a great blessing in life. For the tremendous love you have extended toward me when you all have your own children to love but have made me feel a part of your families and welcomed. 
I am grateful for my many friends. My friends that have kept in touch with me even when you or I have moved to someplace knew. For the strength you have given me when I have been weak. For the support you have given me to help me to carry on. For the shoulder you have let me cry on when times get hard. For the comfort you have given when I have needed you the most. For the long hours of talking and time you have sacrificed. For the trust you have given me and for knowing I am there for you too. For the great times and amazing experiences we have shared together. For the sacrifice of your time to let me know you care. For the great words of wisdom and examples you are to me. For allowing me to learn from you. For being my family when I have been far from home. For just letting me be a part of your life. For the judgement you have not passed upon me. For the love you have given me. For the nice notes I get from you in the mail to remind me someone is thinking of me and loves me. For sharing your testimonies with me through the way you live your lives. For reminding me who I can become, to help me to be better. For helping me face my fears. For loving me!
I am grateful for my Savior. For His Atonement that has become a part of my everyday life and a part of who I am. For His gospel and the teachings I have to apply to my life to become a better person and become who He intends me to be. For giving me experiences in life that teach me hard lessons and shape me into who I am. For never leaving me alone. My Savior who loves me so very much that he was willing to sacrifice all that I may suffer a little less and be comforted. A Heavenly Father who loves me that he allowed His Son to make this great sacrifice. A Father who loves me that he has blessed my life with many amazing people. He has blessed my life with great jobs that my temporal needs may be fulfilled.  He has blessed my life that I may taste of great things that leaves me wanting for more that I seek it out to fulfill my spiritual desires. I am grateful for the knowledge we have been blessed with to know what we have to look forward to and what to work towards in this life. To know that I may live with him again. I am grateful for his priesthood power that he has entrusted to man to bless our lives and provide us the guidance and words of council and blessings we need in our life that can only come through this power. For the ordinances we have the opportunity to partake of in this life to prepare us for so much more. For the spirit he has sent to be with us to guide and direct us to help us make wise choices and to know what His will is for us to do. For the choices he gives us to allow us to choose what we will do to learn from our experiences. I am grateful that he always listens when I speak with him and for the many answers he gives me. I am grateful for the many things he has entrusted to me.

Thank you all for being a part of my life. I wouldn't be who I am today without all of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment