Monday, June 7, 2010

Traditional Irish Meal



A while back I made a traditional Irish meal. I made an amazing beef stew and Irish Soda bread. They were both absolutely delicious. It was the best stew I have ever eaten. The soda bread was real tasty with some butter on it and then dipping it in the stew. I will share the recipes with you but on the stew I can only share the minimum of everything I put in. I used the minimum and then added what I wanted to taste.

I shall start with the soda bread
4 cups flour
4 Tablespoons white sugar
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 Cup buttermilk
1 Egg
1/4 Cup of butter, melted
1/2 Cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.

In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round shape and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.

Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 35 to 59 minutes. I continued to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes and enhanced the flavor.


Irish Beef Stew

2 Teaspoons vegetable oil
1 Pound lean beef stew meat (I used more because I like my stew to be meaty)
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Small onion chopped.
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (I didn't add mushrooms and it turned out just fine)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
2 cups beef broth (I used all beef broth for the entire liquid.)
4 cups sliced carrot
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced.
1 Tablespoon cold water
1/4 Cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in frying pan. Coat beef cubes with flour, shaking off the excess. Fry beef cubes until browned on all sides. Do not cook to long. In a stew pot combine the onions, mushrooms and garlic cook and stir constantly until onion is tender about 3 minutes

Add the beef to the pot and stir in tomato paste, beef broth, potatoes, and carrots, cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 hour. Mix together the cornstarch and cold water. Stir into the stew, and simmer until thickened.

Once dished into individual bowls sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley. The parsley adds a great look and a wonderful taste so don't forget it!

The meet potatoes and carrots I did to the quantities I wanted I didn't measure any of them out. The meat was super tender and the flavor of the stew was amazing!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. The combination of the stew with the Irish bread is perfect. Your mouth will be having a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment