Wednesday, November 24, 2010

King Tutankhamon and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs

Before I headed home I wanted to stop in at the King Tut exhibit that is being held in NewYork before it returns to Egypt to never leave there again. It is becoming to fragile and it will no longer be moved around from museum to museum. 
Unfortunately pictures in the exhibit were not permitted. But I was able to find some pictures online of some of the artifacts that I saw in the museum. Most of these pictures came from the National Geographic. King Tut is short for Tutankhamun. He was 9 years old when we became king. He ruled for 10 years and died at the age of 19. He married his half-sister and they had two still-born daughters. 
Buried in the Royal Jewels. I can't remember what this is called. 
Statue of King Tut in solid Wood / 18th Dynasty , reign of Tutankhamun 1332–1322 BCE
Carved of wood and then covered in gesso and painted, this bust of Tutankhamun portrays the young king much more as a youthful figure than a divine being. Although wearing a royal crown with a cobra deity projecting at his brow, he has on a simple linen shirt through which the upper part of his rib cage shows. He has pleasant smile, and his earlobes are pierced, a custom for both males and females during this period. The excavators suggested that the enigmatic statue may have served as a clothes dummy on which garments of the king could be draped or his jewelry displayed.

Chariot where some believe was where he fell off of during a battle which broke his legs before his death. 
Mummy Mask of Queen Tuyu
This gilded-pasteboard mask found in her tomb immortalizes Queen Tuyu, King Tutankhamun's great-grandmother.

Throne of Princess Satamun
Embellished with gold and silver foil, this wooden throne comes from the tomb of Yuya and Tuyu, great-grandparents of King Tutankhamun.
This is an alabaster sculpture of King Tutankhamun (1332 to 1323 B.C.)
Coffin for Tutankhamun's Viscera
Rendered in gilded wood and faience, this coffin was specifically designed to hold King Tutankhamun's mummified internal organs, which were believed to be essential equipment for the afterlife.

I was curious to what they did with the mummified internal organs because this coffin was open and you could see inside of it and there was nothing there. 
Chest of Tutankhamun 
In the shape of a cartouche, this gilded wood chest from King Tutankhamun's tomb is inlaid with ivory, ebony, and various colored pastes. A cartouche is an oval figure enclosing a sovereign's name.
Tuyu's Box With Vaulted Lid
Decorated with ivory, ebony, blue faience, and gilding, this wooden chest was found in the tomb of Yuya and Tuyu, great-grandparents of King Tutankhamun.
Winged Snake Deity
With wings and a human head, this wooden snake-deity figurine is from the tomb of Pharaoh Amenhotep II 
(1427 to 1400 B.C.).
Head of a Cow
From the tomb of Amenhotep II, this wooden sculpture is evidence of the importance of cattle to the ancient Egyptians. The animals served as beasts of burden and food sources and even lent their features to several gods.
Diadem of Tutankhamun
Studded with semiprecious stones, this crown was found on the head of King Tutankhamun's mummified body and was probably worn by the pharaoh in life. 
Tutankhamun's scarab
There are no surviving records of Tutankhamun's final days. What caused Tutankhamun's death has been the subject of considerable debate. Major studies have been conducted in an effort to establish the cause of death.
Although there is some speculation that Tutankhamun was assassinated, the general consensus is that his death was accidental. A CT scan taken in 2005 shows that he had badly broken his leg shortly before his death, and that the leg had become infected. DNA analysis conducted in 2010 showed the presence of malaria in his system. It is believed that these two conditions combined led to his death

I had to add a picture of the city lights. On my way back to my car I had to take the Train and then walk down some streets that were not widely used. Jesse and I parked down here because we could park for free. As I was walking down the street in the dark it was a little nerve racking. Then I walked past a little park where there were people playing with their children. About a block from the park I was trying to hurry to my car and I passed a person dressed up like a woman, but looked like a man dressed in a hooker outfit and bad makeup. She said to me in a woman voice "Hun can you help me out a minute" I said no and walked even faster to my car. I think I was officially hit on by a hooker. 

I really enjoyed my trip to New York. The Exhibit was very interesting to learn about the life of King Tut. I had heard about him but until I went to this exhibit I don't think I really knew much about his life or why he was so famous. I thought it very interesting that he was King and began his reign at only 9 years old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment