Tuesday, August 11, 2009

CRAZIEST and SCARIEST night of my life!

A few weeks ago I was really having a hard time sleeping. To the point that I was so physically exhausted that I think it was stopping me from sleeping, I would go to bed by ten (so tired that my eyes would burn) but once I actually got to bed I would end up laying there for hours till way past midnight. Then I would sleep for a few hours and I would wake up and be awake for an hour or more. By the time my alarm went off in the mornings I maybe got somewhere between 4-5 hours of sleep. I normally get close to 8 hours of sleep so this was killing me. This was carrying on for a couple of weeks and I finally hit rock bottom. On July 25th I had made plans to go visit a friend in Connecticut which was about 3 hours from my house. I got up early to head that direction, good thing I had a book on CD to listen to, which helps so much to keep me awake. On my way back it took me an hour to go 10 miles because of an accident on the freeway. So what should have been a 6 hour round trip ended up being 7 hours. I had told some of my friends about the waterfire events in Providence and we had made plans to go that night. However once I got home that evening I was so tired that I knew I would not be able to make it through the evening till midnight when it gets over and to drive another 2 hours round trip. 9 hours in the car in one day is a lot. At this point I had a history of being so tired but not being able to sleep I decided I was going to try and do something about that. My doctor back in Utah has prescribed me with some sleeping pills (because I was having trouble sleeping then too) but I had not used them yet. This was going to be my first time. I took one and decided I was going to jump in the shower and then go to bed. I thought it would take it a little while to kick in. Boy I was I ever wrong. I had just finished shaving my legs, thank goodness, and the tub started moving. I felt like I was on a boat that was in very rough waters. Nothing stood still. It was a challenged to get showered and getting dressed was even harder. I had no idea what was going on. All I knew is this can't be normal. (I had been reading two books Ink Spell and Fablehaven Important info for the next event.) Not only was my bathroom moving I had no sense of balance but I also started to see things. I started to see the characters from the books I was reading. I am so grateful I only saw the good characters and not the scary ones I would have been toast. I saw fairies, brownies (little furry creatures or so I imagined) and the forest areas my house had all of a sudden transformed.
This is the brownie
Here are the fairies
The forest that was now my house.
The forest floor that was now my bathroom floor.
I was so scared because I didn't know what was happening to me that I thought I needed to call someone to get a blessing. When I opened my phone I couldn't really see anything so I called my friend Jake who was at the top of my most recent call to see if he could come give me a blessing, I got his voicemail so I tried to leave a message but wasn't sure if I actually spoke or not. I couldn't tell if the words were only in my mind or if I had really voiced them. Then I started to feel sick to my stomach so I sat on the bathroom floor with my head over the toilet dry heaving. I hate throwing up so I am so glad I didn't actual throw up. I think I feel asleep for a little while with my head dangling over the toilet. Then I thought maybe I should try sending a text message because that doesn't require any words. So I tried to send a text message but I couldn't see very well my vision was all blurred for the real things I wanted to see but clear as day for the hallucinations. I had to concentrate so hard to keep my focus on what I was trying to write.

Because I was still feeling sick I thought it would be a good idea to eat a yogurt something simple and easy to get to since things were still moving or I still couldn't balance which ever way you want to look at it. I sat on the couch in the livingroom and tried to eat my yogurt. I remember looking at the spoon and trying to get it to come to my mouth and having a hard time finding my mouth. And then I don't remember to much after that.

At 11:30 a friend of mine from Utah sent me a text message it woke me up and I saw that I was in my bed and the lamp was on. I don't remember getting to my bed or finishing my yogurt. I turned off the lamp because things were still not normal and I feel asleep again. About 4:00am I was wide awake and couldn't go back to sleep. I felt much better well my stomach didn't hurt and I was not seeing things that shouldn't have been there and my house stopped moving.

A little after 7:00am still awake hadn't been able to fall back asleep my phone starts ringing. Jake was calling me back, he asked me if I was alright? I said yes I am much better now. He said his phone died and didn't charge so he didn't get the message till this morning when he plugged it into his car charger. He said my text message didn't make any sense at all. But once my voicemail came through he understood what I needed. I was totally shocked that I had really left a message. I asked him what I said in the message. He told me I said Jake blessing help please (something to that effect) I said well I got the most important words out. I recounted what happened and then it dawned on me that it was probably the sleeping pill I took that was the culprit of the prior nights events. If I had realized that before I would have gone to bed sooner but I was so scared I was afraid to fall asleep. Not knowing what was going to happen to me. As I started to look back at the events that took place the time log between the phone call and the text had a big gap and this is why I think I must have fallen asleep in the bathroom, but I really don't know. I don't remember hanging out in there that long. In my memories I felt like I had dry heaved a couple times and then I got up to eat the yogurt but the phone call and text message beg to differ.

Needless to say I will not be taking another one of those sleeping pills. Especially since they didn't even really help me sleep that long. I still woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. That trip was one I do not have a desire to take again. However I do think I know what it might feel like to be drunk and high on drugs all at the same time.

The good news is I think I was so physically whipped that I totally crashed. I went to bed at 8:30 Sunday night and feel right asleep and didn't wake up till 6:30 the next morning. Same thing Monday night slept from 8:30 to 6:30 and I have been sleeping much better since.

This may have been scary in the moment but I get a good laugh out of it now. I was talking with my Dad about this and he said something to me that I didn't put it on my blog yet so Dad here you go now you can always relive this experience with me. Or when you need a good laugh you can read about how crazy I am.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow! What a night. I'm glad you're ok.

Joanna said...

That is so funny! I love that you were reading those books. When I read them they were so good I could picture it in my head. You took it one step more you went there. Lucky!

mark said...

sounds like your doctor gave you some LSD.

Post a Comment