Saturday, September 8, 2012

Slowing Life Down

Over Labor Day weekend, my friend Daniel and I went camping to Savoy State Park in the Berkshires. It is so beautiful out there I really didn't want to come home. But I didn't want to come home just for the beauty. 
I didn't have any cell service while I was out there and I totally loved it. I loved being able to slow down and not have a schedule to keep and just relax. I enjoyed not being rushed to get to the next place. I enjoyed no traffic, not many people. 
We went hiking on Saturday for 4 hours and while we were hiking on many different trails we didn't run into a single person. It felt like we had the whole state park to ourselves. We hiked to Tannery Falls and it wasn't really a falls or at least not one that I would categorize as one. It did run down a hill but there was no rushing water sounds like you get with waterfalls. 


We stopped and ate lunch sitting on some of this rocks and just enjoyed listening to the water run down the stream. It was so pretty there. 


We hikes to Balance rock. Which was uphill the whole way and boy was it a challenge but such a great workout. Daniel is trying to help hold the rock up so it doesn't fall down the mountain side. 
We decided to take what was at one point a road back down because we didn't want to take the steep downhill hike back. As we walk down this road it was water washed pretty bad. Then we come along a caution rope and we disregard it because we thought what we will encounter here will not be as tough as what we just came from. 
If you look just past the caution tape to where you see the sun a bit that is a washed out fallen road. 
Downed trees. 
The big hole in the road.
A really big tree on the road.
On our way out we see a Trail Closed sign. We know why it is closed as for all that we just passed through. These signs don't do you any good when they are only on one direction of the trail. 
The as we leave the road all together there is a sign that reads Road Not Maintained Travel at Own Risk. 
Here is the not maintained road. 
Sunday I was playing around with my camera and trying out some of the different settings and features on it. 

There were hundreds of Monarch butterflies everywhere. It was so fun to see them as I don't see butterflies in the city. 
Sunday was a perfect day. We went to church and when we got back I took a nap, we took a walk around a pond, and then we read our books the rest of the day. I can't remember the last time that I had time to sit down and spend more than a few minutes reading. It was wonderful. As the evening was drawing to a close I really enjoyed just sitting by the fire and staring into and getting lost in my thoughts. 

Monday morning when I got up it was nice and cool with a hint of fog in the air. 
The fog really made it a beautiful morning. 

I decided to take a stroll before people in the campground started to get up and disturb the peacefulness to the captivating morning.  
Fall is on its way, there is already some color changing happening. 





More playing around with the camera. 


I love this picture with the moon above the trees. I tried to get the moon in the water too but it was to close to the shore and wouldn't show up. 

Before we left on Monday we took one last hike. 
We hiked up to a fire tower. Daniel and I both were thinking this fire tower would be one of the first back 100 or so years ago but to our disappointment when we got to the top of the mountain (hill)...
This is what we found. Modern town blocked off that we couldn't even climb to get a good look at the view. The trees were so thick on the edge of the hill side that we couldn't see anything from being on the ground. 

It was a fantastic weekend and made me realize how much I am getting tired of the city. The city is to busy, to crowded, and to full of a rigorous schedule. One day I think I will live some where that my house is surrounded by trees and life slows down about 30 notches so I can enjoy it more than a rush rush mentality. 

1 comment:

Joanna said...

It looks so beautiful there!

Post a Comment