Sunday, May 22, 2011

Helicopter Flight

Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to be a pilot. My dream finally came true on April 30th 2011. For some years now I have also had a dream of riding in a helicopter. So I was able to fulfill both dreams in one event. I had the opportunity to fly yes I said fly a helicopter. It was a lot of fun but it was a lot harder than I had expected. But it was an amazing opportunity and one I will never forget.

It may be a little helicopter but it did the job. I guess you can call it the smart car for the sky!
The T shape handlebar is like the steering wheel called the Cyclic. The cyclic is held with the right hand. It is very sensitive and you don't have to pull to one side or the other very much to turn the helicopter. To point the helicopter toward the ground you push the cyclic forward and will send you into a nose dive if you don't pull back up on it. At the left hand (which you can't see) is the Collective throttle. It is used to get you in the air.
You also use the antitorque pedals to steer when you are closer to the ground and you have two pedals one to send you to the right and one to the left. They are not as sensitive as the cyclic is and so it was a little tough to get use to the difference and think you don't want to push to hard but then you are not turning so you have to push a little harder till you get it just right. My instructor Laura had me follow a yellow line in turning a corner and then heading back toward the airport and keeping in line with the yellow line. It was a little tough at first but then I got the hang of it. She told me I did a really good job for my first time.
What a beautiful day to go flying.



This picture to me looks like I stepped right out of TopGun I just forgot my sunglasses. Ha Ha!
My instructor Laura and Me after my flight we both returned in one piece.
It was a successful flight!

They also recorded my flight and here are a couple of inserts for you to watch and see what I saw on my flight.


Up in the air.
Using the antitorque pedals to steer. 

2 comments:

Joanna said...

It is so cool that you got to fly the helicopter. I would have been too scared to do it myself.

john said...

You should blog about your two vacations.

Post a Comment